Tuesday 4 March 2014

Exercise 23 - Selective Processing and Prominence


What: The main brief of this exercise was to take an image from a previous exercise and using processing software adjust the image to make two versions of the image.
Where: Image used was from the Chinese Lantern Exhibition
When: Late evening.
How: I chose the image as I felt that I could adapt it well using processing software to create two versions of the image. One giving promenance to the figures in the settings and the other making the settings stand out.


I really wanted to keep the image as unprocessed as possible, I did not want to go mad with adjusting brightness, contrast, selective colour, colour intensity.

As the images I used were Jpeg only as these are the only type of images produced with the camera I did not want to process them too much as I knew that it could spoil the image quite quickly.


SUNP005-2
Bonzart Ampel Tilt Shift Camera, Aperture Mode Auto, focal length 9mm (35mm equivalent 9mm), aperture f2.8, speed 1/30 second, ISO 100, Auto white balance, Multi Mode metering, Tripod mounted camera, 9mm lens,


By adjusting the colour intensity and contrast slightly I have given the image a higher range of colour. I did not want to make the image too bright as I did not want to over expose the lanterns and blow out the colour making them bright blurs. In this case I balanced the colours of the lanterns against the backgrounds and tried to bring out the colour of the jackets of the individuals giving them prominence against the background.

SUNP005-4
Bonzart Ampel Tilt Shift Camera, Aperture Mode Auto, focal length 9mm (35mm equivalent 9mm), aperture f2.8, speed 1/30 second, ISO 100, Auto white balance, Multi Mode metering, Tripod mounted camera, 9mm lens,



By adding a slight gradiated filter to the background I have brought down the contrast and brightness of the top of the buildings in the background. This has made the background much darker and suddenly it takes on a greater prominence in the image as it looms over the courtyard and the people below.


I was quite surprised by this exercise as I did not think it was quite as easy to adjust the prominence of the foreground and background in such a way. It made me view the final image quite differently as the background was just that a background to the first image.

No comments:

Post a Comment