Saturday 8 March 2014

Assignment 4 - A Sense of Place

What: The main brief of this assignment was to draw together ideas and experiences covered in the course so far and produce six images of a location in the style of a thought provoking publication.
Where: The Town of Haddington.
When: Midmorning
How: I undertook research of several locations. After photographing and collating one set of images I decided that they did not gel so I changed location and shot the town of Haddington.

I decided that I wanted to capture images that provoked an emotional response in me. I moved from place to place and waited until I saw something that I felt that I wanted to capture within the context of the assignment.

What I wanted to achieve was to capture the peacefulness of Haddington even though it is an expanding and busy market town. I wanted to show that a lot of the activity takes place in one of two locations - either around the main street at the town’s Corn Exchange or along the river.

The river was one of the first sources of industry in the town. At one time Haddington had a large wood industry and a large mill and waterwheel to grind the grain that was then traded in the Corn Exchange. The town itself is carved into two by the river and is crossed at various points by small bridges.

I think I succeeded well in capturing the town, showing that even though it has lost the mills and the heavier industry, the spirit of the town still survives and people now use the river for entertainment and pleasure.

Just beside the bridge the river runs past The Waterside Bistro. This building was originally a coach house, inn and shops before being renovated and is now a popular bar and restaurant.

DSC_0211
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 25mm (35mm equivalent 37mm), aperture f22, speed 1/45 second, ISO 400, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,


The bright white of the building reflects in all manner of sunlight and produces a lovely reflection in the river nearly all year round. It always makes me happy when I pass to see the reflection in the calm path of the river.

The river provides a relaxing spot for people to pass time either by feeding the swans and ducks or by sitting peacefully by the water’s edge reading a newspaper.

DSC_0037
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 55mm (35mm equivalent 82mm), aperture f4.5, speed 1/2000 second, ISO 400, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held, 18-70mm lens,


I really wanted to capture the excitement of the children as they fed the birds, each child trying to outdo the others and feeding their favourite bid.

As I moved along the river path I encountered a gentlemen sat for a while reading a newspaper and it reminded me of my dad who used to do the same when on holiday in his caravan.

DSC_0054
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 300mm (35mm equivalent 450mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1000 second, ISO 1000, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera lent against tree trunk, 70-300mm lens,



I chose to use the telephoto as I did not want to disturb him as he looked like he just wanted to sit quietly and pass time on his own. At first I thought the hat on the end of the bench was his but realised that it had been left there by someone else, probably found in the path and left there just in case someone came looking for it.

During the historical period known as the 'Rough Wooing' there happened a siege of Haddington and soldiers from the French village of Aubigny came to support the Scottish troops. Due to this link the two locations were twinned in 1965. Since the twinning, Haddington has had a resurgence and interest in sport and the Aubigny Sports centre and grounds, which were built as a result of the twinning are now used regularly by local schools and the public.

DSC_0074
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 70mm (35mm equivalent 105mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1500 second, ISO 1000, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,



The sports centre sits beside the river and there are always dog walkers, runners and cyclists using the old tow path which runs parallel to the watercourse. Here a cyclist takes their dog out for a run along the river path which runs through the town out to the east and west of the town. The dog looked like it was having the time of its life as it ran long.


DSC_0071
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 60mm (35mm equivalent 90mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1500 second, ISO 1000, Shade white balance, Matrix metering, Camera sitting on the table, 18-70mm lens,



I cropped this image down as the dog and the cyclist were too far in the background and were too small; the balance of the image was on the path and the trees rather than on the intended subjects.

Turning back to the town, there was a celebration on for the third “birthday” of a local children’s organisation, and visitors to the corn centre were met with Mickey and Minnie mouse. Many of the children were surprised and excited to see cartoon characters here in the town.

DSC_0095
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 56mm (35mm equivalent 84mm), aperture f8, speed 1/30 second, ISO 100, Shade white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,



I liked the fact that the small child showed no fear initially and was pulling her parent toward Minnie before being distracted by the fountain. One of the other children pulled her mobile phone and photographed Minnie as they approached and then photographed the smaller girls, their parent and Minnie with the backs against the fountain.

I found it quite difficult to reduce my final selection to six images as I found I was having difficulty giving the full sense of place of the town. In the end I had to choose to remove a couple of images that while I found them ideal artistically they did not fit into the brief.

There was a missed opportunity to capture an image of Haddington at its busiest during the school drop off and pickup periods as this is when most people are out and about, as now being a commuter town the town centre itself can be very quiet during the day even at weekends.

I have added the other six images at the end of this assignment.

If I had been taking images for no end result I may have spent more time on the smaller botanical area in town which is full of plants and insects and not so many people. I would also have spent more time within the town limits capturing the passing people. I would have also spent more time photographing in internals and externals of the buildings. The final collection of images would probably not be quite so focused as they are.

DSC_0013
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 11mm (35mm equivalent 16mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1500 second, ISO 400, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 11-16mm lens,



DSC_0072
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 18mm (35mm equivalent 27mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1500 second, ISO 1000, Shade white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,



I liked the sense of silence and quietness this image gives, but it also gives a sense of abandonment and emptiness that I found jarring.

DSC_0081
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 18mm (35mm equivalent 27mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/4000 second, ISO 1000, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,




DSC_0092
Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 44mm (35mm equivalent 66mm), aperture f4.5, speed 1/180 second, ISO 1000, Shade white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,



DSC_0194

Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 11mm (35mm equivalent 16mm), aperture f11, speed 1/180 second, ISO 400, Shade white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 11-16mm lens,



I really liked the colour of this image as the reflections from the building opposite really brighten up an overcast location. However the lack of people within the image means that the image is not quite suitable.

DSC_0205

Nikon D80, Aperture Mode Manual, focal length 56mm (35mm equivalent 84mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/750 second, ISO 400, Daylight white balance, Matrix metering, Hand Held Camera, 18-70mm lens,



I liked this image as it showed the bridge in use, but I felt that the final six all met the brief better.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've done very well to capture so much of the variety of the place in 6 images.

    ReplyDelete