Sunday 11 August 2013

Exercise 10 - Capturing the Moment

What: The main brief of this exercise was to attempt to capture the moment.
Where: Edinburgh, Outdoors
When: Afternoon on a bright sunny day.
How: Previously I had passed this location and noticed a lot of activity. Knowing that this exercise was coming up I noted the location and decided to return to see if it was still busy and whether or not it would be suitable for the exercise.

I used a combination of a 50mm prime lens and a 70-300mm telephoto lens.
Although in all of the images I picked out when I reviewed them, the telephoto lens images stood out, as I feel that each image captured the particular moment that I was looking for.

DSC_0054
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 300mm (35mm equivalent 450mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1000 second, ISO 100, Auto white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

This gent was striding along the street; his hurried movements caught my eye as everyone else was strolling along. He was deep in thought and I wanted to capture his expression.

DSC_0054


Moving along to my intended area, I found that it was not as busy as the previous visit, probably due to it being on a Sunday and the park entrances were taken over by a local newspaper promoting the golf competition which was happening locally.

I found a quiet location and watched people interact with the news sellers, as well as the interaction of the selling team itself.

DSC_0102
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 135mm (35mm equivalent 202mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/250 second, ISO 100, Auto white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,


DSC_0102

DSC_0137
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 230mm (35mm equivalent 345mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/180 second, ISO 100, Manual white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

DSC_0137C

DSC_0112
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 165mm (35mm equivalent 247mm), aperture f5.0, speed 1/500 second, ISO 100, Daylight white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

I watched a number of people taking part in tutored golf lessons, while watching some of the people I decided I wanted to capture some of the movements of the golfers and the tutors as they worked together.

DSC_0112

This movement from the golfer as she is about to start on her backswing a hit the ball into the net was the one movement I was trying to capture from her.

DSC_0122
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 230mm (35mm equivalent 345mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/250 second, ISO 100, Auto white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

DSC_0122

Watching the tutors I spotted that they spent a lot of time demonstrating their interpretations of the movements of the golfers. This tutor spent a couple of minutes demonstrating foot positions. His movements were like a little dance and I wanted to capture his twist as he moved his feet.


DSC_0150
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 270mm (35mm equivalent 405mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/750 second, ISO 200, Daylight white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

DSC_0150

This tutor was showing the golfer the right position to hold the club during the swing, this was the best of the images I captured as I wanted both of them to be focused on the end of the club.

DSC_0154
Nikon D80, Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 155mm (35mm equivalent 232mm), aperture f5.6, speed 1/1000 second, ISO 200, Auto white balance, Centre Weight metering, Hand held camera, 70-300mm lens,

While the golfers were being tutored people continued to walk through the park. I captured this couple in discussion as they passed through the park ignoring the golfers around them.

DSC_0154


 I was surprised to find that I had chosen exclusively images captured using the telephoto lens. I feel that it made it easier to monitor and predict the movements of the subjects as well as allowing me time to monitor and compose the image that I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment