Tuesday 11 September 2012

Assignment 1


What: The main brief of this assignment was to take a number of portrait photographs where the portraits differed in style.
Where: At home, Outdoors and Indoors
When: Various times of the day.
How: Before I started I cast a wide net for ideas including; photography magazines, a number of books on film, National Geographic and some calendar shots.

The ideas we decided to try were:-

Sitting

  • Face on, head and shoulders
  • Reverse chair, dark background
  • Against a wall with knees drawn up

Standing

  • Face and fiddle
  • In darkness, looking at a laptop

 

First Fiddle Shoot

For the first shoot I referred back to the basic lighting shots exercise, but this time switched off the room lights. I used a single, remotely-fired flash and moved in and out with the framing, adjusting the power of the flash accordingly so that it did not overexpose the image. I wanted to get a get an image of Lindsay with her fiddle. At first the images were too dark and I had to start all over again. This time I used a cloth backdrop to prevent the flash being reflected from the white cupboard doors in the background and kept the room lights on. I had to move the flash around a bit until I obtained the lighting and expression that I wanted.

Wrong Lighting on First Shoot – DSC_005

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f4.5, speed 1/180 second, ISO 250, Shade white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 18-70mm lens.

Wrong lighting on first shoot - DSC_0005

Snoot Not Working – DSC_001

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f4.5, speed 1/180 second, ISO 250, Shade white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 18-70mm lens,

 snoot not working on first shoot - DSC_0001

Simple Face Portrait in Monochrome

After that I decided to try an outside shoot. I started by having Lindsay just sitting on a chair and after positioning the camera slightly higher than her head height, I used the natural light to capture the image. I turned the image to monochrome as it looked better.

DSC_0068

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 105mm (35mm equivalent 157mm), aperture f/3.2, speed 1/90 second, ISO 320, Shade white balance, Multi Segment metering, tripod mounted camera, 105mm  lens,
Neutral Density Mono DSC_0068
 

 

We went back inside for two shoots, inspired by the painted portraits I had seen in the National Portrait Gallery. In this session I wanted to try several shots, with a 50’s, 60’s and 80’s spin. The lighting set up ‘worked’, so I used it for all of the following.

Red Glove

While working on this image I went from landscape to portrait and back to landscape. I wanted to be able to capture just part of Lindsay’s head and hand against the dark background. I used a dark grey muslin cloth to cover the background to prevent reflection, allowing me to position the camera as I wanted and have the flash fire from beside me pointing over her left shoulder. This prevented her face from being over exposed and bleaching the glove.

DSC_0020

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f4, speed 1/180 second, ISO 100, Flash white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 50mm lens,
DSC_0020
 
Black Hat

Lindsay and I had discussed this idea while working on the red glove portrait. Initially I wanted to produce a close-up of her face in the style of a ‘club’ banner. However during a discussion on the fabric of the gloves, we ended up getting sidetracked onto the idea of the hat and having her lean on her gloved hand. I used a lighter background, which was slightly reflective as I did not want to over-expose the back of the image and I wanted a slight reflection from the background to stand in for a back light.

DSC_0040
Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f4, speed 1/20 second, ISO 100, Flash white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 50mm lens,

DSC_0040 

Fiddle

In the last set of images; I incorporated one of Lindsay’s hobbies. She is quite a musical person, so I wanted to get at least one image of her with her fiddle. When I first shot this, the images were a complete disaster and I lost a bit of heart with the assignment.

Not wanting to be thwarted, however, I returned to the challenge, this time deciding to keep the image full of light rather than just using one flash. We worked in two sessions on this. The first session was beside a window where there was a lot of natural light. While she was sitting down, I raised the camera to quite a high height and shot down towards her face as she looked up into the lens. I was pleased with the final result as she was not too underexposed compared to the background.

 

DSC_0074
Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f1.8, speed 1/30 second, ISO 320, Shade white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 50mm lens,

DSC_0074

DSC_0078

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 44mm (35mm equivalent 66mm), aperture f4.3, speed 1/8 second, ISO 1250, Auto white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 18-70mm lens,
DSC_0078
 

For the second shoot, we returned to the room with the background and shot a few images there. Lindsay stood against the background, playing her fiddle while I positioned the camera directly in front of her and photographed her down the length of the instrument.

DSC_0090

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f8, speed 1/8 second, ISO 3200, Shade white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 50mm lens,
DSC_0090
 

Laptop

I wanted to produce one image with completely artificial light, but not using a flash or a torch. I hit upon the idea usually used in sci-fi or action films were the person’s face is lit up with the light from the screen. We waited until it was dark and then closed and sealed the curtains to keep out any light. I had Lindsay wear a dark wool jumper, sit on a low stool and open her netbook. I then had her look at a blue background screen and then a white word document to obtain differing colours of light. I took two images; one from a distance where her body is slightly defined by the light from the screen, the second image a close up of her face being lit by the white light from the screen.

DSC_0101

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f1.8, speed 1/20 second, ISO 1250, Flash white balance, Spot metering, hand held camera, 50mm lens,

DSC_0101

DSC_0103

Nikon D80,Exposure Mode Manual, focal length 50mm (35mm equivalent 75mm), aperture f1.8, speed 1/20 second, ISO 1250, Flash white balance, Spot metering, tripod mounted camera, 50mm lens.

DSC_0103

I did find this assignment quite difficult as every time I hit a problem, I would lose a bit of momentum and hope; partially due to my ongoing illness. In the end however I believe I have managed to produce a number of good images that I am personally pleased with.

No comments:

Post a Comment